Friday, September 28, 2012

Frozen Assets

As a try & tessellate a bag of frozen peas into the crowded drawers of my overfull freezer for the 4th time I have to admit defeat. My freezer is severely overstocked. I can see when I poke about looking for room that there are half empty ice cream tubs, bags of random vegetables, loaves of bread, and even stuff from last Christmas ... seriously I could see a massive roll of sausagemeat stuffing. Why did I think that if it wasn't used at Christmas we would suddenly think when it wasn't Christmas hey we need a roll of sausagemeat stuffing?!

I can also see takeaway cartons crammed with the remains of variously fish pie / mushroom pie / potato & aubergine bake / salmon lasagne etc etc . Clearly I was under the impression I would find a time when a single takeaway carton full of food would be ideal. But in reality they contain too much for one (so there would still be some left over) but not enough for 2 - neither use nor ornament as my nan used to say.

The bottom line, the reason for my crazy full freezer is that I hate wasting food - hate it. For me it is a mortal sin, food is precious & scarce & should be eaten up. Not thrown away. Hence the stuffed freezer. However as I peer in drawers that are cracking under the strain, examine cartons from every angle atttempting to guess the contents & look at some of the sell by / freeze by / eat before dates I have to accept that no matter how much I want to, I cannot possibly keep this stuff. I have to go get the bin bags. Or risk poisoning the family ...

UPDATE - I did indeed attack the freezer ... but it bit back! Whilst trying to open the lid of something with frozen hands to check the contents, the lid shattered and sliced the pads of the index, ring & middle fingers of my right hand. Blood everywhere and OUCH! Have managed to stem the flow with 2 tight plasters on each finger but in proper pain ... that'll teach me! And left hand / right hand thumb & little finger typing ... ie slowly .... :-(

No comments:

Post a Comment

F**k off 2016

2016. A year to forget. Celebrity death-fest. The year that so many things broke. The year we got stuck. What a frankly cr*p year. I was goi...