Wednesday, January 4, 2012

You're (a) Wizard Harry!

I feel I should be able to flick my wand and  everything including the ironing will be miraculously done today. I am all aglow with the possibility of magic & the fight of good over evil and despite some very serious setbacks (and a bit of death & resurrection … am sure I’ve seen that somewhere before…?!) good wins out for ever & ever! Let me explain - FauxSurreyHubby and I were ‘a deux’ this new year – from NYE to the last day of the festive bank hols it was just the 2 of us (yup, bliss) and we decided to lock the doors, hunker down, light roaring fires & do a Potter-thon. Having recently taken delivery of the final part of the Deathly Hallows & watched parts 1 & 2 together we thought hang on - let’s watch every single Harry Potter film in order, back to back! And it was BRILLIANT!!

On NYE itself the Krug went on ice & we ordered a Chinese and  managed to watch both The Philosopher’s Stone (blimey Oliver Wood, team Quiddich captain was a bit gorgeous!) & The Chamber of Secrets before I was snoozing on the couch. FauxSurreyHubby had to wake me for the countdown to 2012 & then I went to bed!! Sad but true. New Year’s Day dawned & was a shocker weather wise, so we went to B&Q (I know rock & roll – but we needed logs for the necessary roaring fire & light bulbs) and got through The Prisoner of Azkaban & The Goblet of Fire along with platefuls of homemade Mac & Cheese.

Bank Holiday Monday was GLORIOUS! So we pulled on our wellies & walked 2 ½ miles ankle deep in mud & puddles through our local woods which was fab & fully earned our fish pie for tea which was
accompanied by The Order of The Phoenix & The Half Blood Prince. Last night we had the Deathly Hallows – with 4 cheese Ravioli & pesto (yum) – and it was so compelling & such a late night as it takes a very long time to defeat evil that FauxSurreyHubby has taken a day’s leave today to catch up on sleep! Our Potter-thon is now complete!!

And I must confess the whole experience was an utter joy. For what is essentially a childrens tale, the story is compelling, the acting improves enormously as the films progress (although lucky that Hermione has a modelling contract … hmmm ) and it’s a chance to lose yourself completely in utter fantasy & nonsense. If you haven’t seen it all I won’t spoil it but I am in awe of JK’s ability to write a certain brilliant character with such duplicitous (tri-plicitous??) intent! What an imagination.


No comments:

Post a Comment

F**k off 2016

2016. A year to forget. Celebrity death-fest. The year that so many things broke. The year we got stuck. What a frankly cr*p year. I was goi...