Tuesday, January 31, 2012

January brings the snow ...

As I was rugged up like an Eskimo whilst defrosting the car this morning, it struck me just how freezing cold it is at the moment - and I thought blimey it's like November ... then I thought again (yes head was hurting at this point far too much thinking before 7AM) hang on 'January brings the snow ..' and so I looked up the old English weather rhyme repeated here for your delectation

January brings the snow
Makes our feet and fingers glow.

February brings the rain,
Thaws the frozen lake again.

March brings breezes sharp and shrill
Shakes the dancing daffodil.

April brings the primrose sweet
Scatters daisies at our feet.

May brings flocks of pretty lambs,
Skipping by their fleecy dams.

June brings tulips, lilies, and roses
Fills the children's hands with posies

Hot July brings cooling showers,
Apricots and gillyflowers.


August brings the sheaves of corn
Then the harvest home is borne.

Warm September brings the fruit 
Sportsmen then begin to shoot

Brown October brings the pheasant;
Then to gather nuts is pleasant.


Dull November brings the blast
Then the leaves go whirling past.

Chill December brings the sleet
Blazing fire and Christmas treat.

 
 
Oh how far away Hot July feels right now ... but it will be with us before we know it and so I will enjoy todays weather as much as I can; the pale golden sunshine on the patio, the sharp bluey green of the frosted tips of the blades of grass, the perfect silence of the bitter cold, the thin layer of mist that wraps the world when it's -2 on the thermometer, and the joy of wrapping soft warm cashmere around my neck when I venture outside!


No comments:

Post a Comment

F**k off 2016

2016. A year to forget. Celebrity death-fest. The year that so many things broke. The year we got stuck. What a frankly cr*p year. I was goi...