Thursday, May 26, 2011

Hickory Dickory Dock ...


The mouse ran into the fireplace! Yet again more cat-astrophes (see what I did there??). I thought the KC waiting under the bird box was bad enough – no no no today she graduated from birds to mammals. There I was in the kitchen, after having checked an 8 country debrief before breakfast, (oh yes all very high powered in the faux countryside) artfully arranging my freshly cut roses into a bouquet to give to a friend who has everything (including a stunning mega bucks house & a brand new baby) when I heard this terrible squealing. Suddenly the KC came haring past me & went straight upstairs ignoring my yelling to “drop that thing now!” Following her into our bedroom (it had to be didn’t it – we have the white Sheridan bedding) she dropped the mouse (for that was what was squealing) behind the door. Here it cowered for a while. Grabbing my trusty “KC Victim Rescue System”™ (which is not simply an ice cream tub with holes in the lid thank you) I tried to persuade Mr Mouse to enter of his own free will. Whereupon the KC swatted him (she was no help) and so he ran straight into the gas fire fireplace. The hardest most obscure place to hide! After 5 minutes of futile “pawing” the lightweight KC gave up & went out! So there we were, me, a mouse & firstly a Hoover (thought I’d suck him out but nope, suction of a Henry on full power not strong enough), then a chopstick (to poke him out but he kept jumping over it) then I rang hubby who suggested turning the fire on to either sweat him out or – well - burn him out (NO!!) & so after virtually dismantling the fireplace I thought a bit harder & eureka! I got a metal tape measure & some silicone tongs. I poked the tapes metal end inside the fireplace to annoy him & then grabbed the tail that poked out as he turned to get away from the tape & of course his instinct was to turn & bite whatever had grabbed him so I had good purchase & I finally managed to get him into the “KC Victim Rescue System”™. I then legged it downstairs. The KC meanwhile had heard the squeaking (do you know how loud a mouse can squeak??) and so followed me – but I foxed her, she went back garden & I went front garden & over the road, Neighbour now has latest rescue! Although all neighbours that side have cats so how long he’ll last I don’t know but it’s not on my hands anymore! It’s a hard life being soft when you own a killer cat ....

No comments:

Post a Comment

F**k off 2016

2016. A year to forget. Celebrity death-fest. The year that so many things broke. The year we got stuck. What a frankly cr*p year. I was goi...