Saturday, June 2, 2012

Jubilation

Now I am not a republican. By any stretch of anyones' imagination. I quite like the royals (Phil, Charles & Camilla are my faves! Kate's just TOO thin)  I think they are an abject lesson in the importance of media training. I think that HM the Queen (Gawd bless 'er) is a marvel. Keeping her job past 75 in this economic environment is to be applauded.

I am however struggling with all this forced jubilation for the Diamond Jubilee. My normally quiet sedate rural little street looks like someone has eaten union jack cake until they were violently ill and vomited all over it. There are flimsy gazebos shackled to lamposts and acres of cheap red white & blue bunting strung from house to house. I have had to pay £10 (per person!!) for the privilege of hanging out in my own 'hood tomorrow. Yes dear reader we are having a street party.

What does this once in a lifetime party have to offer? No booze, inedible offerings (chicken & ham no good for me the veggie & one dish has nuts in so would kill FauxSurreyHubby on contact), there is a fancy dress competition. a street singalong, a wet sponge contest (a what??), and a host of other activities to horrid to contemplate.

Yet as I type I hear a welcome & delightful sound on the roof of the conservatory. Rain. Torrential rain. The kind of rain that means we can't possibly sit in the middle of the street eating stale white bread sandwiches. Oh, Your Majesty you really do have a hotline to God. Thank You. Long to Reign Over Us huh? (Geddit?!) We are indeed amused

No comments:

Post a Comment

F**k off 2016

2016. A year to forget. Celebrity death-fest. The year that so many things broke. The year we got stuck. What a frankly cr*p year. I was goi...