Thursday, November 3, 2011

Veggie-Might!

Yeah yeah I know – bad pun but when you’re as tired as I am that’s impressive. Why so tired? Doing 3 days up in that faraway London place which means getting up – actually up and dressed & presentable not just with raincoat over PJ's to drop hubby at station– at 6AM (also known as sparrows fart) 3 times a week..! Anyhow that’s not what I am blogging about no no. I am moved to blog about a man some TV critics have called patronising in the extreme but a man I have a new found respect for. Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall. I never thought I would have any time for a man who actively encouraged people to kill pigs & chickens & lambs and other lovely living breathing creatures. Organic / Free range or not. There was always just too much blood lust & meat going on at the River Cottage.

Then he took a long hard look at the life & lot of the battery chicken & he realised how cruel, pointless & unnecessary it was & what miserable “lives” these chickens lived all for the sake of cheap nasty tasteless chicken for our tables and he cried on TV. And made a stand against the horror that is battery farming. And I am not ashamed to say I was crying in my living room along with him – who are these people who can have no care & concern for another creature? It beggars belief.

Then he smelled the coffee properly & realised that what with 7 BILLION (!!) people now on this very small planet we are rushing head first into a food crisis because most people in the developed world are addicted to meat. They eat it daily and feel a meal is incomplete without something dead on their plate (sadly FauxSurreyHubby being one of them). And a la battery chicken he decided to do something about it. So he went veggie. Not sure if he is still a vegetarian but he spent 3 months as a pure no meat or fish veggie. And made a brilliant TV programme about it.  

Brilliant in my book as it’s the only cookery show I can watch all the way through without feeling slightly queasy at times. Brilliant as I know I can dash into the kitchen and make & enjoy every single dish!

The last episode was about feasting & banqueting & I sat there salivating. He was cooking South East Indian Dhosas & Puri’s, making aubergine & green bean curry, a herby peanutty noodle salad and stunning stuffed courgette flowers. Utterly inspirational. And FauxSurreyHubby has even expressed a genuine interest in some of the recipes. But we have a problem. Not only is my lovely hubby a dyed in the wool carnivore, he is allergic – severely allergic; call an ambulance allergic - to that magic ingredient that gives texture, protein & taste to many veggie dishes. Yes hubby is allergic to nuts. All nuts. Even faux nut pine nuts that give that lovely crunch to pesto. Hey ho; at least I can put Hugh on my Christmas list and sit & read about nut roasts & roasted peanut salad dressings without risk of serious illness..

No comments:

Post a Comment

F**k off 2016

2016. A year to forget. Celebrity death-fest. The year that so many things broke. The year we got stuck. What a frankly cr*p year. I was goi...