Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Why don't you do a trial run ...?

Ah the Olympics. All good etc and we are now gathering the gold but FauxSurreyHubby works in Canary Wharf and weeks ago had decided the only way to get to work without drama was to cycle to his office from the train station thus avoiding the Jubilee line that goes to the Olympic stadium altogether. So the countdown began!

6 weeks ago - after months of agonising FSH hands over best part of £1000 for a bright red Brompton Folding bike. Excellent. However FSH has not done any long bike journeys for a while.
Why don't you do a trial run? Nah, not yet I need a bag to put the bike in

4 weeks ago - FSH hands over another large wad of cash and becomes proud owner of Brompton bike bag
OK - so now why don't you do a trial run? Nah I'm good I know the route

3 weeks ago - the hype begins and the train announcements are all about congestion
Hmm why don't you do a trial run? No I'm fine I used to cycle hundreds of miles a day (used to...)

2 weeks ago the heat is unbearable and I start to wonder - shouldn't he do a trial run? Crikey it's hot, why don't you do a trial run & see how you go? No, no need I am going to wear shorts & t-shirt & change at the office

1 week ago - the rain is hosing down. Do you have a waterproof jacket? Do you not think it would be smart just to do a trial run? No. I'm good, I have a jacket, the one I bought in Germany for 5 euros!

Yesterday - out comes the bike. the bag is packed beautifully with 2 shirts, a suit & a pair of shoes. T-Shirt & shorts on, helmet on - FSH rides off into the sunrise to catch the 0643.

0830 - Phone call. All good. At my desk. Bit sweaty ... took over 30 mins ...  forgot clean pants ... puffed out ... but fine!! Honest!

1730 -Phone call  - Bum it's raining. The 5 euro jacket isn't really waterproof ... I need to go spend £40 on a proper waterproof one...


1925 - Phone call. Am back at the station but I think I will cycle home!


1945 - doorbell rings. FSH red in the face & breathing heavily. Rain drops glisten on his bright blue new expensive jacket.  Oh god I'm in agony, I'm red raw I can't sit down I need gel shorts, this saddle is slicing me in 2, my legs are aching, I feel I have a cold coming on, I can't breathe .. I need a shower....


Today 0615. Alarm goes. The KC sits on my head. Voice comes from the bathroom - Can I have a lift to the station?

0710 FSH comfortably on train. TFL website warning that today will be the worst day on the Jubilee line. £1000+ worth of bike & equipment is languishing in garage. More money is to be spent on padded gel shorts.


Hmm. Do you think he should've done a trial run?


No comments:

Post a Comment

F**k off 2016

2016. A year to forget. Celebrity death-fest. The year that so many things broke. The year we got stuck. What a frankly cr*p year. I was goi...