Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Goodbye gorgeous George Michael. The world has lost a genius

Anyone who knows me even slightly will not be at all surprised to know that I have been bereft & heartbroken since the news broke on Christmas day that my idol, the amazing, talented, generous, fabulous George Michael had died aged just 53.

I have been a HUGE fan of George since he burst onto Top of the Pops in 1983 telling Andrew Ridgeley that "caution paid"!  I was hooked - I bought the big white t-shirt and I danced around my handbag to "Wake me up before you go-go"; I knew every word to "Everything she Wants", I swooned as he belted out "I'm Your Man" (Oh George you so were), and sipped cocktails to "Club Tropicana" but my adoration was sealed when he released "Faith". What an album.

An old friend & I scored front row - yup FRONT ROW!! - tickets to one of the Earls Court Faith gigs. And we were wowed. So much energy, so much talent, so much showmanship, so much love in the room. And we agree wholeheartedly, it was one of the best nights of our lives. Ever.

With another friend & partner in crime, despite the fact we were well into our 20's, we followed George around the country on his Cover to Cover tour - screaming his name loud at every venue so he knew we were there, adoring him as always! We covered our tracks well, lying to workmates, bosses and boyfriends telling each we had commitments to the other so no one thought it was odd we were out every night for a fortnight! Ah those were the days.

George made me happy, His songs cheered my soul. I listened to him through the worst times of my life and the best times of my life - he was there when the most important relationship I'd ever had collapsed (Too Funky"); he was there when I gathered 200 friends round to raise hell at my 40th birthday ("Flawless"), and he was always there to get Christmas going .. But Christmas 2016 would be his last.

Rest in peace gorgeous George. My heart is broken at your loss. I cannot tell you how much I will miss you.





No comments:

Post a Comment

F**k off 2016

2016. A year to forget. Celebrity death-fest. The year that so many things broke. The year we got stuck. What a frankly cr*p year. I was goi...